2.1 Introduction to Chain Drives
Chain drives are an important part of a conveyor system. They are used to transmit needed power from the drive unit to a portion of the conveyor system. For example, if we have a gearbox and a contact roll on a conveyor, we need a way to transmit the power from the gearbox to the roll. This can be done easily and efficiently with a chain drive unit.
This section will cover:
- Various types of chains that are used to transmit power in a conveyor system.
- The advantages and disadvantages of using chain drives.
- The correct installation procedure for chain drives.
- How to maintain chain drives.
- How to calculate speeds and ratios that will enable you to make corrections or adjustments to conveyor speeds.
- How to determine chain length and sprocket sizes when making speed adjustments.